Ukuu v19.01 is now available with some major changes.
Starting with this version Ukuu is moving to a paid licensing model instead of accepting donations. A license needs to be purchased to use the app and receive future updates.
This change was necessary due to lack of donations. The last version of this app (v18.9) had 60,000 downloads, yet only 12 users have donated over the last 2 years. It was not possible for me to continue working on this application for free, and making it paid seemed like a better alternative than discontinuing the project.
If you are one of the few who donated to this project in the past, you will be receiving a free license for the paid version. Please drop me an email if you want one.
A personal license is currently available for $12. This is a single-user license that is valid for lifetime, and includes future updates.
- The UI was updated to make it easier to use. Available kernels are now grouped by series.
- Status bar now displays the running kernel version and available updates.
Faster update check
- Checking for new kernels now takes less than a second. There’s no need to build a cache as in previous versions.
- The check for internet connection was removed, as it was causing problems for some users. The app will now try to download packages without checking the connection, and report an error if the download fails.
The notification window will auto-close after 10 seconds if the user does not select an action.
There’s a new option to download and install updates automatically. The update happens in the background and displays a notification dialog after installing the new kernel.
If automatic updates are enabled, you can choose to stay on the same series or move to the next series. You can also choose to wait for the first point update before moving to a new series.
You can also choose to automatically remove older kernels after a new kernel is installed. For safety, a few older kernels will be kept so that you can recover from a bad update.
Signatures will be verified for the downloaded packages using the GPG-signed hashes (CHECKSUMS, CHECKSUMS.gpg) that are provided in the PPA.
The public key for the Mainline PPA will be added to your system.
$ gpg --keyserver hkps://pgp.mit.edu --recv-key "60AA7B6F30434AE68E569963E50C6A0917C622B0"
New command-line options
- New options are available for listing kernels. It is now possible to specify the minimum and maximum version, and list kernels from a specific series.
--min <version> Exclude kernels lower than specified version
--max <version> Exclude kernels higher than specified version
--series <version> Include kernels only from specified series
--rc Include unstable kernels
--no-rc Exclude unstable kernels (default)
- You can now install the latest kernel without specifying the version, by using the command
# install latest stable kernel
$ sudo ukuu --install-latest
# install RC kernel
$ sudo ukuu --install-latest --rc
# install for current/running series
$ sudo ukuu --install-latest --same-series
- There’s a new option
--scriptedthat prints output in a format that is easier to parse. This is useful for using Ukuu in scripts.
$ sudo ukuu --list-update --scripted
Log files are saved automatically in ~/.cache/ukuu/logs. You can also save them manually from the terminal window.
- Some issues were fixed in comparing kernel version strings between stable/RC kernels and between mainline/official kernels. These will now be sorted correctly relative to each other.
- Some issues were fixed where the same kernel would be displayed twice in the list
A personal license is currently available. This is a single-user license that is valid for lifetime, and includes future updates.