Project page: https://github.com/teejee2008/umix-os
Umix OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Unity 7 desktop. This distribution is for people who miss Unity, and who are not satisfied with other desktops that try to replicate the same experience.
Unity seems to be the only desktop with a global-menu implementation that works perfectly with all apps. Most desktops (MATE, GNOME, XFCE, ..) have a partially-broken global-menu that works with some apps and not with others. This makes them unusable as a daily driver.
Vertical screen space is something precious on widescreen displays. Combining the window buttons, title bar, and menu bar with the top panel is a basic necessity for maximising screen space and getting work done.
Even though Unity 7 is no longer actively developed, it is still being maintained. It is currently stable on the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS platform and I’m hoping it continues to be stable on future LTS platforms.
- Unity 7 desktop
- Based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver)
- Supports BIOS and UEFI installation (both offline and online)
- Integrated WiFi drivers (Broadcom)
- Refreshed ISOs available every 6 months
- Lightweight — Includes Chromium (with uBlock Origin), VLC Media Player, GParted, Synaptic and Tilix.
- Dark theme for reducing eye-strain
|umix-bionic-mini||1.4 GB||18.04 Bionic||Unity 7|
|umix-bionic-full||1.7 GB||18.04 Bionic||Unity 7|
|umix-disco-mini||1.4 GB||19.04 Disco||Unity 7|
|umix-disco-full||1.7 GB||19.04 Disco||Unity 7|
The mini edition includes a minimal set of applications. It includes Chromium, VLC, Synaptic, GParted and Tilix.
The full edition includes LibreOffice, Thunderbird, GIMP, Shutter, Peek, Kazam, Deluge, Rhythmbox, Pidgin, Pitivi, Cheese, Shotwell, Simple Scan, DejaDup, Baobab, Remmina, Timeshift, and uGet.
Umix is a paid distribution. A subscription is required for downloads. New releases are sent to subscribers by email. You can purchase a subscription from the link below:
This gives you the following benefits:
- 4 ISO editions (see table above)
- Refreshed ISO files with updated packages will be available every 6 months (in April and October). This saves time after installation, as fewer updates need to be downloaded.