Aptik v18.5 is now available.
This version is almost a complete rewrite of Aptik. It is now more powerful than ever, and supports Linux distributions based on Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and Arch.
- There are now two separate packages — aptik (which is the main command line tool) and aptik-gtk (which provides a GTK front-end).
- The GTK app runs as a normal user and does not require admin privileges. This allows it to run under display servers like Wayland.
- The command-line app does not have GTK dependencies and can be used on headless systems which do not have a display server installed.
- Previous version of Aptik has been renamed to aptik-legacy. You can still download the source code and packages from GitHub if you need it, but I won’t be providing support for it.
- Backups created with previous versions of Aptik (older than v18.5) are not compatible with this tool. Please use the older version to restore backups created with older versions.
- Encryption has been removed for backups so that files can be edited or restored manually. If you need security, use an encrypted USB drive to take backups.
- There’s also a handy User Manual that explains in detail the steps that are executed for each backup and restore action.
Development of the command line tool is complete, and it contains the main functionality. The GTK tool is a wrapper around the command line version. It needs some more work to make it more user friendly. It will improve with future updates.
Arch and Fedora may need more testing. Since I use Ubuntu as my primary system, there may be some corner-cases on Arch and Fedora that I am yet to run into. Please report an issue if you see one, and provide as much detail as possible.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Ubuntu-based distributions (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc)
Packages are available in Launchpad PPA for supported Ubuntu releases. Run following commands in a terminal window:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install aptik aptik-gtk
Debian, Arch Linux and Fedora-based Distributions
Download and execute the RUN files from a terminal window:
Aptik is a non-commercial application. I work on it during my free time based on my requirements and interest. If you wish to support this project, you can make a donation for $10 or more via PayPal. Your contributions will help keep the project alive and support future development.
PayPal ~ If you find this application useful and wish to say thanks, you can buy me a coffee by making a donation with PayPal.
Patreon ~ You can also sign up as a sponsor on Patreon.com. As a patron you will get access to beta releases of new applications that I’m working on. You will also get news and updates about new features that are not published elsewhere.